2018 CrossFit Open At Petworth Fitness!
Every Friday beginning February 23rd thru March 23rd Petworth Fitness will be hosting the Crossfit Open Workouts. ANYONE can take part and we encourage you to participate. Just like our regular workouts, the Open workouts can be scaled to any ability.
Each week, during the Open, the workouts are announced, by CrossFit, on Thursday at 8pm. That will then be our workout of the day for all Friday CrossFit classes. Our Friday evening will be dedicated to those wanting to compete in the Open in our Friday Night Lights Open Competition.
Friday Night Lights works like this: there will be heats that you will sign up for in advance, through our calendar or your Zen Planner App. The first heat will start at 7pm, followed by a second heat at 7:30pm. If a third heat is required we will add that but we will start with two. Here is what you need to know to participate:
- Register yourself HERE with CrossFit. This way you can compare how your age group and skill level compares against others all over the world or just in our area.
- First heat STARTS at 7pm. This means you must arrive early to properly warm up, receive instructions and be ready to start the workout at 7pm.
- If the workout is short, Heat 2 may start earlier than 7:30 so be prepared for this as well..
- These Heats for the Open workouts will not count as a class for your membership
- Warm ups will be done on your own. Suggested warm ups and mobility will be written on the board. Make sure to plan on arriving BEFORE your heat start time to ensure you are properly warmed up (heats will start at their designated times and will not be delayed for you to warm up)
- ANYONE can compete and we welcome everyone.
- If registered, you must be willing and ready to help judge a fellow competitor in the other Heat. You may pick a fellow member to judge you or we will ask people from the other heat to help judge. If you are not officially registered and you just want to participate in the workout on Friday, you will not need to have a judge.
- Coaches will review movements and standards prior to heats for both athletes and judges
- If registered, you will be responsible for submitting your scores; see where you stack up against other members in Petworth, in DC, in America, or the world. The Leaderboard can be filtered by age, scaled or RX.
- You will need to enter your scored on the CrossFit Games site by Sunday evening, and a CrossFit Petworth judge will then verify the score for you on Monday.
We understand this may be a new experience for many of you so please feel free to reach out to [email protected] with any further questions. Even if you’re not working out we encourage you to come out and support your fellow member, neighbor, athlete and share a drink with everyone. Music will be loud, cheering will be loud, energy will be high and drinks will flow…after the heats are done.
What is The OPEN?
The Open is the first stage of the CrossFit Games season. Every year, hundreds of thousands of athletes, all around the world, come together to compete in the worldwide, online competition. You can learn more about it HERE.
All you have to do is sign up and log your score each week. The Open is an all-inclusive event that is accessible to the masses. At the end of five weeks, the fittest all around the world, in their respective regions, move on to the next stages of competition: The Regionals and then the CrossFit Games.
I’m not registered for The Open, can I still do the workout on Fridays?
Yes, all Friday CF classes before 7pm, will be normal classes. The workout will simply be the Open workout. Like all workouts, every Open workout will be scaled according to your current ability.