2017 CrossFit Open
Petworth Fitness home of CrossFit Petworth!
Every Saturday beginning February 25th thru March 25th, at 11am, Petworth Fitness will be hosting the Crossfit Open Workouts. ANYONE can take part and we encourage you to participate. Just like our regular workouts, the Open workouts can be scaled to any ability.
In a change from past years, in order to participate, we are asking you to sign up online* (via Zen Planner on our schedule*) in advance for the workouts and the different heats. We also highly encourage you to register yourself as an athlete HERE! This way you can compare how your age group and skill level compares against others all over the world or just in our area.
Additionally, every Friday (Feb 24th thru March 24th), the Workout of the Day, for CrossFit classes, will feature the movements from the Open workout (but will be a different workout). You may use this as a chance to practice the skills and movements for the Open workout. Then register to come on Saturday to go all out and have a fun with your fellow members.
We understand this may be a new experience for many of you so please feel free to check the FAQS, listed below, and reach out to [email protected] with any further questions.
*Each week the Open Workouts are announced, by CrossFit, on Thursday at 8pm. By 12pm on each Friday our schedule will show the available times for the Saturday heats. These are available to all members regardless of if you are registered for the Open or not.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Saturday (Feb 25, March 4, March 11, March 18, March 25) the workout will begin, in heats, starting at 11:15am. Please sign up for a heat the way you normally would for a class. Heats will be available on our schedule by Friday 12pm.
- The Open workouts on Saturday will not count as a class for your membership
- Warm ups, on Saturday. will be done on your own, suggested warm ups and mobility will be written on the board. Make sure to plan on arriving BEFORE your heat start time to ensure you are properly warmed up (heats will start at their designated times and will not be delayed for you to warm up)
- ANYONE can compete and we welcome everyone to do The Open workout on Saturdays.
- You will need a judge to sign off on your time/reps to compete if you are registred for The Open. Pick a fellow member to judge you or we will ask people from the previous, or next, heat to help judge. If you are not officially registered and you just want to participate in the workout on Saturday, you will not be required to have a judge.
- Coaches will review movements and standards prior to heats for both athletes and judges
- If registered, you will be responsible for submitting your scores; see where you stack up against other members in Petworth, in America or the world. The Leaderboard can be filtered by age, scaled or RX.
- What is The OPEN?
The Open is the first stage of the CrossFit Games season and the largest community event of the year. Every year, hundreds of thousands of athletes come together to compete in the worldwide, online competition.
Anyone aged 14 or older can compete in the Open. All you have to do is sign up at Games.CrossFit.com and log your score each week. Workouts are released on Thursdays at 8pm p.m. EST, and athletes have four days to complete the workout for the week and submit their score. Scores are due before 7 p.m. CT the following Monday. Complete the workouts at a CrossFit affiliate with a judge, or film your effort from anywhere in the world and submit a link as proof.
Since 2015, the Open has offered a scaled option in addition to the prescribed workout. This option makes the all-inclusive event even more accessible to the masses.
At the end of five weeks, the fittest move on to the next stages of competition: The Regionals and The Online Qualifier.
- I’m not registered for The Open, can I still do the workout on Saturdays?
You are more than welcome to reserve for any heat time (heats will appear on the schedule by 12pm each Friday) and come on in to give the Open workout a shot. Every Open workout can be scaled according to your current ability. It’s a great time to work on stepping out of your comfort zone, seeing what you are capable of and having fun within our awesome Petworth community. You will be supported, encouraged and challenged and you’ll get a great workout. Please remember to come earlier than the heat time to get a proper warm up.
- What are the workouts like? Can I do this?
Absolutely! The Open workouts include scaled options for all abilities. Look at the workouts from last year HERE. Scroll down and you’ll see all the official scaled options. You’ll notice each workout has scaled options for both weights and movements.
- What are the starting times for the heats? How long will each heat be?
On Friday by 12pm the Saturday schedule will be updated with available heat times. The first starting heat times will be at 11:15am. Heat times may be every 15 min, or they may be every 30 minutes. It all depends on what the workout is for that week.